Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2007 00:57:21 -0500
From:      "N.J. Thomas" <njt@ayvali.org>
To:        jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpd configuration file changes

* jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net> [2007-12-12 20:42:47-0800]:
> Q: When making changes to ntp.conf it is necessary to restart the
> server?

According to the ntpd docs, yes. The ntpd configuration docs say this:

    Ordinarily, ntpd reads the ntp.conf configuration file at startup
    time in order to determine the synchronization sources and operating
    modes.

> Q: How is that done?

On FreeBSD, it is typically done via "/etc/rc.d/ntpd restart".

> (I suspect ntpd reload or restart per rc script.. along the lines of
> apachectl restart or postfix reload??? Kill -HUP pid ??? ) I am
> looking at FreeBSD handbook and ntp documentation and have not found
> the answers.

See the "Using rc under FreeBSD" section of the Handbook:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-rcd.html

It is based on Luke Mewburn's excellent NetBSD rc.d system. See the
document, "The Design and Implementation of the NetBSD rc.d system"
(PDF) here, it is an excellent read:

    http://www.mewburn.net/luke/bibliography.html

Thomas

--