Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 08:21:25 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting from CD..?

>1. Boot direct from CD.  It's my understanding that certain SCSI
>   adapters support this - any clues as to which ones do and how
>   you might go about making them do it?  Naturally, we'd also have
>   to figure out some way of getting boot blocks onto a CD.

This is entirely system BIOS dependant.  I've heard of Compaq and
HP doing this (Compaq with their own controller, the HP with
an onboard aic7770).  Both vendors ship some kind of "configuration"
CDROM instead of shipping floppies and that was the motivation
for the feature.

>2. Take advantage of Win95's `autolaunch' on CD insertion to do
>   something clever.  Not exactly sure WHAT yet, but it's an idea.

Launch the Win95 browser into our handbook's installation notes.

>Thoughts?

I think we need to be able to install from alternate kernels first.
How hard would it be to devise a "boot" floppy that anyone can
build without going through the release process that would stop
after loading the kernel and use the installation diskette for
root and then continue on.  You also have to add an option (or autodetect
this condition), so you could prompt for the other diskette after
writting out the distributions so you could copy the right kernel
to the disk.  Right now its just to difficult to get people to test
kernels that might allow them to install if the release or snapshot
floppies fail.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations