Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 12:39:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Steve Mansfield" <smm@uunet.uu.net>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: route command w/o metrics (why?)

> > <<On Mon, 03 Jun 1996 10:21:13 +0200, "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> said:
> >
> > > Just out of curiousity: Why does the BSD route command not require
> > > a metrics parameter?
> >
> > Why would it require one?  What purpose would it serve?
>
> I don't know :-) Just was curious since others had it (Sun) for
> a long time and some even require it to be there - see my recent
> experience with a HP-UX where leaving it off (the metrics) lead to a
> missing (U)G flag in my default route.

Metrics can be quite useful, however requiring one is not.  I would be
worried had it not allowed them, but I personally like not having to add
one.

Steve Mansfield  |The captain frowned. "It's a funny thing," he said, "but
smm@uunet.uu.net |why is it that the heathens and the barbarians seem to have