Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:08:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        Michael Westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
Cc:        <java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1 socket problem

> Kruk-san wrote:

:)

> > Again, I've attached sample code, but it's a rather bad sample.
> > I went too far in simplifying it and now it works in most cases :)
> > Basic complain is that Swing's setResizable and setLocation methods screw
> > stuff up. (both in JFrame and JDialog AFAIK)
>
> I've witnessed strange happenings with Linux-jdk1.3.1 when pack() follows
> setResizable(false) on KDE.  What it turned out to be was KDE actually held
> an application to its desire to not be resized, whereas other wm's didn't.
>
> But I see that you have the "correct" order in your code.
>
> Have you tried putting setLocation(x, y) before setResizable(false)?  Does it
> still behave strangly on all wm?

Just tried that with fvwm2 and result didn't change. I don't have time to
try other wm's now.

> > But if the internal layout of the window was a little
> > bit more complicated it wouldn't work.
>
> I can't help but wonder if that "little bit more complicated" isn't a pack()
> after setResizable(false).

No, I was just removing lines from the code, didn't change order of what
was left. More complicated was gridbaglayout with a couple of textfields,
labels, checkbox and buttons.
But I think that pack() observations explains a lot of things I saw
earlier...