Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:49:29 -0500
From:      Bruce Bauman <bbauman@wgate.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bbauman@wgate.com
Subject:   NFS swap questions

I want to build a medium-sized cluster of diskless FreeBSD 4.X-stable
machines, all booting from a single FreeBSD server. I want them to swap
over NFS to a single partition on the server.

Because of the number of clients, I'd like the clients to allocate their
swap files dynamically during boot (e.g. dd if=/dev/zero
of=/nfsswap/swapfile.<ip-address> bs=1M count=256). I intend to do this by
slightly hacking the rc.diskless scripts. How do I then enable swapping on
these files? The available documentation isn't very clear.

Second question: Are there any recommended options for the filesystem on
which the swap files will live? Should it be async and noatime? Any other
performance tuning tricks?

Thanks for any insight.

-- Bruce