Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:42:59 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating 4.2 release to 4.3 release

> From: Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:21:06 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Just a second of background before you get your answer.  -STABLE is a branch
> of FreeBSD that is designed for production machines.  A -RELEASE is nothing
> more than a snapshot of -STABLE from a certain date.  -CURRENT is the
> development branch of FreeBSD, and that is totally experimental.  It is
> fairly common for -CURRENT to not even compile, let alone be usable.
>
> You should upgrade from 4.2-RELEASE to 4.3-STABLE.  That will get you all of
> the latest bugfixes and so forth.  You can upgrade from 4.2-RELEASE to
> 4.3-RELEASE without reinstalling, but I can't think of any reason why you
> would want to do that.

Josh,

Go read the new handbook section on stable and than please re-think
your advice. What Wayne really wants is to use RELENG_4_3 to get
4.3-Release with security patches. There has been an interminable
thread on this in stable and Jordan re-did the handbook section to
explain how it REALLY is.

Yes, releases are snapshots of stable, but not at random times like
simply cvsup to stable. Releases are preceded by a code freeze and an
effort to make sure that everything is a clean as possible. Then the
RELENG_x_y tag is the "stabilized" stable plus critical patches. (This
pretty much means security patches.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)