Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 21:52:46 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xchat depends

On 29 Apr 00, at 2:20, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

> I don't know about the web page but I can tell you about INDEX.  The
> two dependency fields are "ports that need to be installed to compile
> this port" and "ports that need to be installed to run this port",
> respectively.  Basically if you have all ports in the first list
> installed (either via ports or packages), you can build this port.
> Ditto for the second list.

I get you.  If installing the port, you'll also wind up with all of
BUILD_DEPENDS and RUN_DEPENDS installed, one way or another.

> See (0) in
>   http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk#rev1.300
> for a more detailed explanation.
>
> If you are building from a port, and don't have something in the first
> list, the build may need to get additional stuff.  However, they aren't
> needed for packages, so they are not in INDEX.

Ahhh, so to install the package, you need to have the stuff in
RUN_DEPENDS.  Thanks.  I see why that's significant now.

Thanks for that.  As you've probably guessed, I'm trying to make sense
of the available information before I decide what to include in the
freshports project.  From what you've said, I'll keep the two lists
separate.  I'm compiling the lists directly via "make -V
BUILD_DEPENDS -V RUN_DEPENDS".  I'll also make sure that your
explanation is included somewhere on the website.

> Looking at the webpage, it seems the two lists are just bunched
> together.  That doesn't make much sense.

I'll keep seeking out information about that list. I still want to know why
libtool is listed. <grin>

Thanks for that.  It's been very helpful.
--
Dan Langille  [I'm looking for more work]
http://www.langille.org/     |  http://www.unixathome.org/