Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 13:42:07 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        Paula Atchison <paula.atchison@vivacenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD ROM

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 12:10:20PM -0700, Paula Atchison wrote:
> Dear Madame's and Sirs,
>
> Help, please.
>
> I've purchased  your FreeBSD 4.0 CD's with the intent of  looking at the
> INET (C) source code.
> I don't want to install the operating system on my PC (currently running
> NT, ick).
>
> Is it possible to  install the software without installing the OS on my
> PC, thus extracting the
> source code?
>
> If not, are the source code  files extractable from the CD in some other
> manner?
> (I've had no luck with the *.tgz files in \packages\all directory using
> winzip)

	Unless there is a new Micro$oft FreeBSD emulator out there,
	you will need to install the Berkeley OS itself to run FBSD
	binaries.

	If you have expertise in software porting you could try
	porting the source, or parts of it.

	Dunno how you can gunzip and untar the tarballs, but the
	source is probably on the Life Filesystem CD.

	---Anybody else?

	gary

--
                                   Gary Kline