Date:      Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:52:21 +0100
From:      "Alan Jay" <alan@cyclopsvision.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SATA Problems - ATA_Identify timeout ERROR - using Tyan S5350 with FreeBSD 5.4

I suppose the question is was there a problem with the Tyan S5350 motherboard
and its ATA controller - I know that two identical motherboards with different
hard disks exhibit the same problem.  And if so why is it that there has been
little on these lists about problems with the chipset which is on this
motherboard (a fairly common one I believe from Intel).

Although the problem went away the machines filesystem seems to have got
corrupted so maybe all was not fixed after all.

There have been a number of comments and queries about ATA problems and SATA
problems with 5.4 but no views as to if this is a real problem.

Any insights would be gratefully received.

One aside when trying to upgrade using CVSUP does the tag need to be RELENG_5
or RELENG_5_4?