Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:43:48 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   Re: APM and Compaq Contura 400CX

> I've been using FreeBSD-current on my Compaq Contura
> 400CX for some time now. Things are almost perfect,
> there is just one problem with suspend/resume.
>
> When I suspend the machine by pressing suspend button,
> apm driver seems to get PMEV_SUSPENDREQ as expected.
> However, in apm_suspend (in i386/apm.c), when system
> calls apm_processevent after calling apm_suspend_system,
> it receives many extraneous PMEV_SUSPENDREQ events.
> I guess that this is caused by bios not clearing
> the event correctly in this situation, since adding
> a small delay before calling apm_processevent makes
> everything to work OK.

Are you running the latest/greatest bits in apm.c (v1.65)?

If so, how long of a delay are you using?

> Otherwise, the system
> goes into infinite loop trying to process another
> suspend request and another and another... Eventually
> it crashes.

This is no good.  I could easily fix this, but I'm not sure what's the
best way to do this and still maintain compatability with other
machines/specificiations.  Fixing it to work on your machine may break
it on other machines. :(

Nate