Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:23:52 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Raymond Lee" <raymondl@sfu.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hardware compatibility?

Yes, FreeBSD 3.2 supports EIDE and Ultra-DMA drives just fine.

By default (i.e., the GENERIC kernel), UDMA mode is not enabled, but you can
enable it by rebuilding the kernel and adding "flags 0xa0ffa0ff" to the IDE
controller definition in your kernel configuration file, e.g.:

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
vector wdintr

See the handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html) for
info on building your own kernel.

As far as your video card is concerned, FreeBSD will work, since it runs
video in text-mode. If you think you'd like to run X-Windows (which you
probably will), check out http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.4/ati3.html#3 , as well
as other parts of the XFree86-project's FAQ.

Basically, XFree86 supports 256 colors on most ATI cards, and 32K, 64K and
16M color modes on the 264xT and 3D Rage cards (athough acceleration is not
yet supported). Apparently, the newer Rage 128 chips are not yet supported.

Good luck!

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!