Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:51:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      jef moskot <jef@math.miami.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changing user domain with elm (or mail)

(I asked this question before with regards to "mail" and got no response,
and now I'm asking about elm.  I have found a lot of people asking this
question in searches, but no actual responses that work.)

Two departments are sharing one server for purposes of sending e-mail.
Mail to both these departments currently goes to the same server.

Math faculty would like their e-mail addresses to appear as
<username>@math.miami.edu and Computer Science faculty would like their
address to be seen as <username>@cs.miami.edu (although both addresses
ultimately deliever mail to the same place).

This is easy to set up using pine or Netscape, but I can't currently get
it to work with elm (or mail), altho I have tried many suggested fixes I
found Googling around.

sendmail is already defaulting to one of the domains (via masquerading) to
deal with the problem of including the hostname in the domain.

I'm not particularly interested in changing the Reply-To: line, since the
default addresses currently being defined by mail are technically correct.
This is an issue of appearances.

I have read that there is a way to alter elm's config at compile-time.  I
could use this to create a separate executable for those in the other
department, and just alias "elm" to "elm2" (or whatever) for those users.

Any thoughts on that?

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator
jef@math.miami.edu