Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 05:57:34 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 05:00 am, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Brian writes:
> > USB is "relatively" now on FreeBSD, though, and
> > I don't really trust it too much myself.
>
> I don't care for USB at all, and I would have preferred a true SCSI CF
> reader, but there seems to be no such animal.  The only choices seem to be
> parallel port or USB, and USB is the lesser of these two evils (there are
> IDE PCMCIA readers, too, but I don't like to fool around with IDE at
> all--plus they are internal readers, and my PC cabinet is too crowded
> already).
>
> > But it's probably because the card presents itself
> > as a "virtual disk" and physical disks are not
> > completely time-indepdenent, and the driver doesn't
> > "know" that's talking to a fake disk that doesn't
> > really have a spinning platter . . . or maybe it's
> > higher up where the system figures if it hasn't heard
> > from a disk drive in xx seconds it's not going to
> > hear from it at all.
>
> No reflection on you personally, but your speculation illustrates the
> biggest problem with software today--especially open-source software:
> Nobody actually has any idea how it works, even if the source is freely
> available. Everyone just speculates, throwing darts, hoping to get
> something right, or at least to get something working.  Is it any wonder
> that systems fail and crash?

Well, if you expect people to read the code and really figure things out when
you are just posting to a user group list your expectations are way too high.
 *You* are more than welcome to read and fix the code, though.  I ain't going
to put it too much time to fix a problem I don't even have with hardware that
I don't even own.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org