Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:47:21 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Separate boot partition?

Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au> wrote:
>With Online Disksuite on Solaris systems you can mirror the root

>You can't stripe or concatenate it, though.  I guess that counts as
>a different weak point in the implementation :-)

I'm not sure that this is a real problem.  root is usually fairly
small (although Solaris seems to be moving towards a combined root and
/usr).  The major reason (IMHO) for wanting to use volume management
S/W on root is for protecting it against disk failure.  There's not a
great deal to be gained by striping it.  Concatenating it could be
useful (if you've under-dimensioned it), but it's not a major loss.

Peter