Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:41:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Jason Kulig wrote:

> Hi,
>     I bought and installed the Walnut Creek cd collection of FreeBSD.
> It seemed to install OK (although I have no idea how to navigate the OS)
> until I tried to start XF86.  I probed and found my vid card, set the
> specs on my monitor and mouse, but I get a message that it can't find
> the server, then gives me a list of servers.  I am anxious as hekk to
> get it up and working.....and to purge my system of Microsoft.
>
> Jason Kulig

I have never seen this message myself. It sounds like you need to make a
link to your actual server. In the /usr/X11R6/bin directory. There are
several "servers" in this directory. They are named XF86_S3 and so
forth.

There should also be a file named simply 'X' which is a link to your
specific server.

If this link is missing then do this:
$ ln /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_whats_its_name /usr/X11R6/bin/X

If the server XF86_whats_its_name is missing then you have a problem
with your installation.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html