Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 22:36:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Alex Huppenthal <alex@comsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP Lease on Ethernet

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Alex Huppenthal wrote:

> I'm looking for a DHCP server for FreeBSD that will provide a IPCP
> lease to a hosts on an Ethernet? Can PPP be config'd to do this?

Huh?  Do you mean just straight DHCP or dynamic addressing over PPP?  Or
make DHCP leases when PPP wants to dynamically assign an address?

> I must admit it's been a few months since I read the docs, but my
> recollection is that there is no support for Dynamic Host Configuration
> Protocol over Ethernet.

What?  I sure hope so; the UO is going to DHCP IP allocation this
summer.  DHCP is supposed to be BootP backwards-compatible (or similar).

> We have a client who has 500 hosts that are on and off the net all
> day. There is no reason to fix IP addresses for each workstation,
> they should simply get one from the free pool on the server.

I know of at least 2 DHCP servers that are in the ports collection, one
of which is the WIDE server.

DHCP client for FreeBSD is another matter entirely.