Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:54:17 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what should uname -v be telling me here?

paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com> writes:

> I noticed that uname -a isn't returning what I expect so I deleted and
> re-pulled a source tree from svn, removed obj, and after a few
> iterations of rebuilding kernels and removing anything I can think of
> to resolve this, I'm at a loss.

You're clearly not booting from the same kernel that shows up as
/boot/kernel/kernel, so it sounds as though you're booting from
a different partition than whatever is showing up as /boot/kernel
once the system is up.

Look at your disk partitioning. Also, make sure that you aren't
mounting something on top of /boot in your /etc/fstab.