Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:04:29 -0500
From:      Travis Calef <tcalef@ciprico.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RPC error when performing yp push

Newbie to this list and FreeBSD in general, so please forgive me in advance.
I'm coming from an SGI IRIX / RedHat / WinNT background.

I've inherited several FreeBSD 2.2 machines and right now I'm trying to
update the passwd NIS map.  On the NIS master, I edited the master.passwd
file as required but when I run "make" to remake the maps, I get the
following two errors for each map:

yp_mkdb: failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Port mapper failure
yppush: failed to create tcp handle: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed
out.

Any ideas or if you want me to RTFM, just tell me *which* FM. ;-)