Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:06:05 +0200 (EET)
From:      Kimmo Mustonen <kmustone@cc.hut.fi>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PXE multiboot FreeBSD and other OSes?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Erik Norgaard wrote:

> c. Do you want to create a diskless multiboot machine?

Mainly c).

> a: For each host you can specify different pxeboot loader and different
>  root-path in the dhcpd.conf.

This is what I have now. I just cannot change from FreeBSD to some other
OS without checking the HW address and changing the boot loader from
pxegrub or pxelinux to pxeboot, because the others cannot boot FreeBSD.

> b: Booting the pxeboot-loader it will run the loader.rc scripts, you can
>  set this up to offer different boot menu. If you use TFTP to fetch
>  these, this can set different nfs root paths

This probably solves the problem changing dhcpd.conf each time I want to
change between FreeBSD versions. Thanks.

I guess there's no way to make an entry in loader.rc that would enable
FreeBSD loader to load other operating systems or other pxe boot loaders
(like pxegrub to continue from there)?

> c: This I don't know.

Is there a better forum or mailing list to ask about this?

Regards,
Kimmo