Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 12:25:47 +0000 ()
From:      Werner Griessl <croot@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de>
To:        beattie@george.lbl.gov (Keith Beattie[SFSU Student])
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reinstall from scratch (was vnode_pager_input: I/O read error)

> Werner Griessl wrote:
> >
> > I had the same fsck error (float) in the past because a damaged rambank.
> > After replacing the ram, a "fsck -b32 /dev/..." (alternate superblock)
> > worked for me.
> >

> Thanks, It's too late for me now but I'll remember this for the
> (hopefully never) next time I have to run fsck manually.
>
> Out of curiosity, how did you determine that your RAM was bad, unless
> there was obvious physical damage.  I believe that demaged RAM will
> cause all sorts of problems, like mysterious signals killing processes
> and damaging data, but so will software problems.  Is there a way to
> check the integrity of a machines RAM with software?

Sorry, don't know such a way.
I had the problem immediatly after installing a new 16Mb-module.
The ram was detected from the bios, but after booting FreeBSD the
system crashed after a few minutes.
A DOS based "RAM-test" even passed, but changing the module
with another (was a local vendor) solved all my problems.

Werner