Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 22:43:29 -0600
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        aagero@aage.priv.no
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: xmcd v2.0 CD-audio player (fwd)

>| Yeah, maybe that could cause the problem.  The deviceInterfaceMethod
>| should be set to 2 (FreeBSD ioctl method) for your CD-ROM drive, right?
>
>In xmcd, these "features" will _not_ work with the cdu33a:
>
>1) skip to next track
>2) get toc
>3) playing for more than 57 seconds (therefore no track warp)
>4) fast forward
>5) displaying time in rest-of-disc format (gives segfault)
>6) any volume setting control (known deficiency of the cdu3?a drives)
>
>I've not tried changing the settings in the rscd0c config file, but
>these problems seem to be of another nature. The "more than 57
>seconds" problem is that sound playback stops exactly after 56 =BD
>seconds, at least the 10 or so times I checked. No idea why.

I did a little more poking around and tried using the FreeBSD ioctl method
for my SCSI drive.  It worked fine for me.

>| I'm all SCSI here, so I don't have anything similar I could test with.
>| If you can figure something out by looking at the source code and come
>| up with a patch, I'll be happy to build you another one to try.
>
>I got hold of a SCSI drive myself, and everything worked just
>fine. The "cdcontrol" program does not work with the scd drive
>either. Perhaps someone should take a look at the kernel driver, but
>thats another problem.

Or perhaps an error code was not properly checked for in xmcd?  It
shouldn't cause a segmentation fault if handled properly.

Does cdcontrol cause a segmentation fault with that drive?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org