Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:57:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, richard@jezebel.demon.co.uk, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Applixware

Hi,

Robert wrote:

> That's pretty sad--I was hoping to write my next few papers in
> Applixware instead of latex.  As fun as latex is, there are times when
> I don't want to have to dig through lots of web pages or books to find
> out how to do something that should be easy :-).

It makes me feel weird that I think LaTeX is easier than using a word
processor.  I even have Word Perfect (Linux version) running on the home
machine.  I started it up once...  :-)

> What I'd really like to see is a piece of presentation software like
> (or better than) Power Point.  Even the UNIX folk around here do live
> notebook presentations under Windows to get power point slides--doing
> presentations under FreeBSD with some spiffy piece of software would
> gain followers instantly.

I have no idea how this compares to PowerPoint but there's a Linux based
program called Magic Point.  It definitely runs under FreeBSD - I've
played their demo.  I was going to make a port of this but writing my
thesis keeps getting in the way!  By April maybe I'll be back to actually
messing around on the computer...

Here's the web page for Magic Point:

	http://www.Mew.org/mgp/

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

"Bart, a woman is like a beer.  They look good, they smell good,
 and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!"
						Homer Simpson