Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2014 07:38:02 -0700
From:      Paul Beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what should uname -v be telling me here?

> On Jun 27, 2014, at 6:54 AM, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-we=
ll.ilk.org> wrote:
>=20
> You're clearly not booting from the same kernel that shows up as
> /boot/kernel/kernel, so it sounds as though you're booting from=20
> a different partition than whatever is showing up as /boot/kernel=20
> once the system is up.

Yeah, that's the puzzle for me. There are two internal disks and one externa=
l, as the main/boot disk started to fail and I turned the internal clone I k=
ept updated into the boot disk. What I can't figure out is how to change the=
 boot disk without sitting in front of the console or even find out what it i=
s. It should be booting and running on ad3 where it used to be ad2. ad2 in i=
n the chassis but not doing anything, just spinning. sysctl will reveal the b=
ooting kernel but does it reveal the boot device?=20