Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:02:23 -0400
From:      John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   48 meg double fault moved to 64 meg in 2.2.5

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:17:35 -0700 (PDT), Doug White
<dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> wrote:

 >Ah, the 48MB double fault.  This seemed to only affect the
2.2.2-RELEASE
 >floppy;  any later SNAP floppies, and thus 2.2.5, will work properly.

Earlier this week, I submitted a bug report, bin/4832, describing a
2.2.5 boot floppy panic with a Buslogic VLB SCSI card.  But after
reading Doug's message I started swapping memory, and now I see the
problem is not due to the Buslogic SCSI.  It is the 2.2.2 boot floppy
48M double fault problem, but now it occurs with 64M instead of 48, and
the symptom is slightly different, as the message now says:

  "syncing disks... panic: getnewbuf: inconsistent empty queue, qindex =
0"

If I take out one SIMM so that I have 48M, and use a 2.2.2 boot floppy,
I get the 48M double fault.  But the 2.2.2 boot floppy has no problem
with 64M.

On the other hand, 2.2.5 will start from the boot floppy as long as the
machine has 48M, but not 64M.

Looks like the 48M boot floppy bug has crawled to a different location.

John