Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:04:15 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        kfurge@worldnet.att.net
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Sean Reilly <sreilly@seanreilly.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error code 512 when printing

> > I don't know if this has ever been tested.  I don't know if the Xprint
> > stuff even works outside of java.
>
> FWIW, it worked at one time.  I developed a program that did some printing
> a while back (well over 1 yr ago).  I can't remember exactly which jdk I
> developed it under, but whichever one it was printing worked OK at that
> time.  I'm thinking it was pre 1.1.5 or so. Some time later I upgraded to
> 1.1.7 and the printing began doing to me exactly what Sean is reporting:
> works fine if printing to a file, doesn't print or gives the "Error 512"
> if printing directly to the printer.

We find out why it quit working.  Turn off banner creation.  It turns
out that the JDK has SysV (Solaris) printing hard-coded into the system,
so the JDK uses /usr/bin/lp (vs. /usr/bin/lpr).  Our lp emulator only
supports the Posix features, and apparently Banner pages are not Posix
specified, so the banner support in the JDK screws up printing.  If you
turn off banners, it should work fine.

We're trying to figure out how best to solve this.  The best solutions
involves modifying the classes.zip file, but then you can no longer use
the stock class files from other Java releases.

Nate