Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:36:59 +0930
From:      Wincent Colaiuta <wincentcolaiuta@mac.com>
To:        Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wow (or, How Theo should have handled it)

El Thursday, 27 June, 2002, a las 04:49  AM, Theo de Raadt escribi=F3:

>> * Theo de Raadt (deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org) [020626 12:02]:
>>> We also did 5600 lines of further security auditing work over the =
last
>>> week.  We're fairly convinced that some of the things we changed are
>>> relevant as well.  ie.  more holes.
>>>
>>> And that is commited in 3.4
>>
>> Theo,
>>
>>   When will we see an advisory and/or patches for older versions=20
>> regarding
>> the other holes that you have uncovered?
>
> You won't.
>
> I've barely slept in a week.
>
> So many of you are being totally unreasonable people.

Great. That's just what I want... a rushed 3.4 release which contains=20
5600 lines of code "audited" by a team of sleep-deprived zombies.=20
(joking... I do appreciate your efforts, Theo).

Seriously, Theo, the best thing you could've done would have been to=20
fully disclose the original bug in the challenge/response code and the=20=

one-line fix (turn off challenge/response auth), and told people two=20
things: firstly, that patches were being worked on; and secondly, that=20=

3.4 was on the way soon and that it would be desirable to upgrade to=20
that and activate priv separation so as to better cope with future=20
potential holes.

Unfortunately, the way you DID handle it created a furore and upset an=20=

awful lot of people who spent hours and hours undergoing a rushed and=20
complicated upgrade procedure on dozens or even hundreds of boxes, when=20=

they probably would've preferred to apply the one-line workaround and=20
upgrade to 3.4 in a more reasonable time-frame (ie. an orderly, planned=20=

upgrade; not an rushed, emergency one). To make matters worse many of=20
these people were using a version of OpenSSH that did not contain the=20
vulnerability (remember, this is a FreeBSD list here).

Thanks once again for your work, Theo. I just wish things had gone a=20
little bit more smoothly!

Regards
Wincent