Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:07:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Pazarena <paz@ccstores.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   setting up mail server

If you are creating a (FreeBSD) mail server on the net, is it 'required'
to utilize an IP for an address named "smtp.XX.XX" ?

I've got the machine's REAL name, and a second IP for "mail.XX.XX". It seems
to me that if my DNS always points at "MX  mail.XX.XX", then "smtp." doesn't
enter the picture but I don't want to miss something.

The reason I ask is a few years ago I hired a consultant to set up my
original email and he created both mail & smtp... I've always left it
as such but never understood why. BTW, my customers point at "mail.XX.XX"
for both POP & smtp services.

--
Jim Pazarena     mailto:paz@ccstores.com
                 http://www.qcislands.net/paz