Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 01:28:57 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        VB <swive@getnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how much space does fbsd need?

VB wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just picked up a junker 133, with a 1 gig hard drive.  It works. but I put
> fbsd 4.4 r on last night, downloaded all src, then made world.  i awoke the
> next morning to file system full errors.
>
> I had given / 100MB, /var 300mB I think, 50MB to /boot, and the remainder to
> /usr.  is this about right?

I made an install on a 1.2 GB HDD a couple of weeks ago. I partitioned it as
this:
 60 MB /
 40 MB /var
128 MB swap
920 MB /usr
These values are maybe not 100% correct, but if I recall correct they were
something as above. It has worked really ok.

A tip is to not install the ports tree by default. At first, install only the
sources, install cvsup as a package and get the even newer sources, then do a
make world. After this you can, if you want to, get the ports tree. Maybe you
also should consider to remove object files and the sources after your upgrade.
Maybe this isn't even a consideration, but a must to be able to use your com-
puter. I hope this small tip was useful for you and I hope it works out!

Best regards,
Paul