Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 16:19:53 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Veto? (was: Debug kernel by default (was: System size with -g))

On Thursday, 8th April 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

>On Wednesday,  7 April 1999 at 15:48:25 +0100, Niall Smart wrote:
>>>   # config GENERIC
>>>   Building kernel with full symbolic support.  Do "config -s GENERIC"
>>>   for historic partial symbolic support.
>>>
>>>   Don't forget to do a ``make depend''
>>>   Kernel build directory is ../../compile/GENERIC,
>>
>> "Historical partial symbolic support"?   There has
>> to be a better wording.
>
>Suggestions?

`Use "config -s FOO" to build a much smaller kernel without debugging support.'

And since I'm on the topic, if this change is to be made, then /kernel is
the right place for the debugging kernel, even though it gets 4x bigger.
This has an impact on the default sizing for root.  Since this is all to
help newbies, I hope the rest of the system (esp sysinstall) cooperates.

Stephen.