Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:22:21 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD XFS Port & BSD VFS Rewrite

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Can you please site a reference for this, other than wishful
> > > thinking by the Linux camp?
> >
> > Here's one:
> > http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,1015908,00.html
> >
> > But just about every trade rag covered it.
>

> Begging your pardon, but:
>

> | --- With the help of Veritas Software Corp., SGI will work to add
> | key features of its Irix operating system to the Linux platform.
> | Currently, Irix runs on the MIPS platform. Once SGI switches
> | entirely to Intel Corp.'s IA/64 platform, that will be the end of
> | Irix.

Why would switch to IA/64 mean end of IRIX? SGI has long planned to switch
to IA/64, but with IRIX. If SGI wants to continue building Origins, esp
the high CPU count ones, IRIX is to stay for a long time.

> | SGI is also forming an alliance with NEC Corp. to increase its
> | market share in Japan.
>
> These paragraphs are contradictory.  It implies an end to MIPS.

An end to high-end MIPS may come ... if Merced, etc. peform well enough.
As this is a topic beaten to death on comp.arch, everybody interested
should look there.

> Nintendo 64 uses MIPS.

Which doesn't matter all that much. MIPS cpus for nintendo could be made
by say MISP, not SGI (and SGI sold/is trying to sell MIPS).

> It also seems a bit overzealous.

You bet. It seems it is to hard foir the journalists to actually read the
press releases.

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.