Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:49:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Leigh Gaffney <freebsd@stgenesis.org>
To:        Bill <bill@wagill.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Encrypted operator password in ircd

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Bill wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD 2.1
>
> I have installed irc-2.8.21.
>
> The default configuration has encryption turned on for server operators (O:
> and o: lines).
>
> There are no utilities in /usr/local/bin (or there abouts) to do the
> password encryption.

I run phoenix.dal.net on the DALnet IRC Network, we just upgraded to
FreeBSD 2.1.5 (BTW if you're going to run an IRC server UPGRADE or you'll
find a mem leak in some ircd's with anything below 2.1.5) under the
config.h - change the

#define CRYPT OPER PASSWORD

#undef CRYPT OPER PASSWORD

So far I havent been able to get freeBSD to use the crypt or even compile
with the crypt there is defined.  It just wont work. If anyone has a fix
I know myself and 5 other DALnet servers who will be ever gratefull - I'm
told there is a way around it to crypt the passwords but I haven't found
anyone who knows.  Aparantly the ircd2.8.21.* uses a Linux supported
crypt and does not work with FreeBSd - personally, I dunno. But I would
like to find a way, it's rather annoying needing to su to root just to
make ircd.conf changes :P

-Leigh Gaffney
Administrator/Webmistress
phoenix.dal.net