Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:47:24 -0800
From:      "Anderson, Douglas" <AndersonD@MTA.NET>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   scsi bug?

I've been trying to install 3.3 on a new pII 400 w/128m, aic7896, and two
segate 9 gig cheetahs (on one lvd cable - channel a). Termination is
jumpered on the mb and in the bios. The cable is term'd after the second
drive. The scsi bios see's both drives and I can low level format and check
the media.

The install goes fine w/msg's indicating that the controller is found.
However, when the drives are probed, I either get parity errors during data
in, or timeout in dataout phase - not always consistent. ONE time I was able
to actually continue and complete (or at least I thought) only to be told
that "I would have a hard time booting from this drive" even though I had
set the root to boot.

I've read that the 7896 is quirky in versions prior to 3.4 and have ordered
3.4 stable on cd. Will this cure my problem?