Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 96 17:49:55 PST
From:      BRETT_GLASS@ccgate.infoworld.com
To:        scott@statsci.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE or SCSI if only one drive

> it seems like all of their new drives seem to have a 90 day or one year
> warranty, where a lot of the others I've seen are 3-5 year warranties.

I've had mixed results with Corporate Systems Center. Some drives I've
gotten from them have been fine; others are real lemons. Be sure you know
if you are getting a prototype or refurb drive. Also, because most drives
either fail within 6 months (not necessarily just 3) or after 3-5 years,
make sure that you are either willing to take the risk or buy with a credit
card that offers an extended product warranty. (Most "gold cards" do.)

>> www.isn.com and their "Sequel DFRS 2.25GB SCSI hard drive"

> I think I've seen that before (but I can't find it on that site at the
> moment).  Does that drive have a decent track record?

Sequel takes over the support and service of discontinued models from
Maxtor (and possibly other vendors; I'm not sure). I don't think anything
that's labeled as a "Sequel" drive is going to be a current model, so
you'll need to find out who made it originally and consider why the
manufacturer might have dropped it.  In some cases, it *was* because the
drive was troublesome. In other cases, it's because the manufacturer got
out of the market. But getting an identical replacement down the road could
be tricky.

--Brett