Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:55:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Craig Struble <cstruble@vt.edu>
To:        Owen Newnan <onewnan@uswest.com>
Subject:   Re: Booting off SyJet SCSI on Titanium w/ ATI enabled

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Owen Newnan wrote:

> When my motherboard died, my local upgrade shop recommended the QDI
> Titanium 1b as a good and especially reliable replacement.  I searched the
> FreeBSD archives and was disturbed to find that Craig Struble had bought
> such a board and was unable to boot off SCSI with his ATA drives enabled.
> I contacted him and confirmed he did get that to work.  This concerned me
> because I'm used to booting several OSs including FreeBSD off my Syjet.

Just to be clear, I got FreeBSD to boot with the IDE drives enabled by
putting a FreeBSD boot partition on the IDE drive. I was unable to get
FreeBSD to boot directly off of the SCSI drives with the IDE drives
enabled, so I decided just to go ahead and move my FreeBSD boot partition.

Once FreeBSD is booted, it has no troubles finding the SCSI controller (an
NCR 53C825) and all of my SCSI drives, so the motherboard is just doing
something crazy to the BIOS calls when its on board IDE controllers are
enabled to prevent booting from SCSI.

I hacked some boot blocks to see what the error code was, but I don't have
that handy any more. A friend of mine who deals with QDI sent off email to
ask about it, but never got a response.

> After thinking it over I bit the bullet and bought the board.  I find
> however that I am able to boot off the SyJet but I must select the
> non-default "Resources Controlled by Auto" option in the (Award) BIOS.
> It's not sufficient to specify the IRQ as "PCI/ISA PnP"; the HBA and it's
> drives are accessible that way but the SCSI BIOS fails to initialize.  This
> also requires the HBA configured to "treat removable drives as fixed."
>
> My configuration for the record is:
>
> QDI Titanium 1b+ Motherboard with K6/266
> 2 ATA drives on primary controller, ATAPI on secondary
> Adaptec AHA-2940AU HBA on IRQ 10 with SyJet, CD and Zip on IDs 4,3,5
> respectively
> Boot Manager is System Commander Deluxe
>
> By the way, for some reason the FreeBSD default boot prompt points to the
> wrong drive with FreeBSD on the SyJet in this configuration; I have to
> enter
>      sd(0,a)kernel.

Edit /boot.config to change this. I believe the contents should be

sd(0,a)kernel

but mine currently reads

0:wd(0,a)kernel

so you might need the 0: in front.

> Note: I'm not currently subscribed to questions, so kindly send me email if
> you need more info about this...

	See ya later,
		Craig
--