Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:03:50 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world from across the globe

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 06:22:44PM +0100, Kevin Golding wrote:
> I'm planning an upgrade from 4.2 -> 4.3 release but there's a couple of
> things I'm a bit uncertain about.
>
> The problem is that I have no direct access to the machine in question,
> I usually just connect with ssh and for day to day stuff that serves me
> just fine, but from the stuff I've read about upgrades I should drop
> down to single user mode for the final stages like make installworld.
>
> Now to my knowledge this makes remote logins a problem.
>
> I've thought about setting /etc/ttys to insecure and then just dropping
> down but I'm not exactly confident that'll work.
>
> I've also read <URL: http://www.nothing-going-
> on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html > which looks like I
> might be able to avoid dropping to single user if I'm *very* careful,
> prepared and desperate.
>
> I'm therefore hoping someone can point me in the direction of either i)
> a way to login across the Internet or ii) a way to do a source upgrade
> without dropping to single user

You do not have to drop to single user.  The important thing is that the
system is "quiet" during the installworld.
This basically means that you should not have any unnecessary daemons
running in the background and no users should be allowed to login
during the installworld. (Unnecessary daemons == everything except the
instance of sshd that you are connected to.)
(The easiest way of doing this is by dropping into single user mode but
you can kill the unnecessary stuff by hand.)

The reason for this is that otherwise some programs get an inconsistent
environment. (Some files it needs have been updated, others have not
and the mixture between old and new doesn't work.)

Usually one can get away with doing the installworld with the system is
running as usual but don't count on it.

If you have a serial console for the machine then it is possible to
drop into single user mode and do everything 'by the book'. This does
require you to have some other machine at the location connected to the
first one with a serial cable though, so it might not be possible.
Having a serial console can be quite useful if you run into any
problems with a remote machine.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson