Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 2000 08:44:08 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>, Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US$100 prize for adding ESS Audiodrive support to pcm

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Alan Clegg wrote:
>
> > > On a simmilar note: what about a driver for ESS Maestro 2E? I'm certainly
> [...]
> > Add $100 from me.  There is one that works for some folks out there
> > by <taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp>, but it does not work for me.
>
> where do you find this?

	I'm not sure about Alan, but I got it from an email from Taku
YAMAMOTO <taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp>.  I've included the email below.
One thing to note, myself and a few others have only been able to get
sound to work out of the audio out jack.  For some reason the internal
speakers just don't work.  I've played with the settings on the
notebook quite a bit, and they do still work when I boot into
Windows.  However, sound, even without the internal speakers, is
better than no sound at all :-)

---
I've written up Maestro driver (beta, mixer and playback). Please test
it.
But this is beta quality and may have lots of problems.
Beware!

To install:

0. Get driver source tarball from:

http://access.cent.saitama-u.ac.jp/~taku/freebsd/maestro/releng4-20000725.tar.gz

1. Check MD5 checksum if you want.
MD5 (releng4-20000725.tar.gz) = b42179b09016d2cf77055ae559395a67

2. If your kernel doesn't have device pcm, add following line to your
config
   and recompile:
        device pcm

3. Untar the archive.
4. cd to maestro, make and make install.
   If you get errors, unter the archive under sys/modules and retry.
5. Your card is not a Maestro-2E, you can kldload maestro without
reboot.
   Otherwise, add following to /boot/loader.conf and reboot:
        maestro_load="YES"
6. Enjoy.
7. When you find problems, please mail to me :)

The driver can also be statically linked to your kernel. Just FYI.
Good luck.
---

--
Joseph Scott