Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 18:59:14 +0200
From:      Mark Huizer <xaa@xaa.iae.nl>
To:        ewanb@dial.pipex.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK set up

The wise Ewan produced the following lines:
> I'm a Linux novice trying to get the JDK up and running on Slackware
> 3.4. I installed the V98-7-21 version and got:
>
> /usr/local/jdk1.1.6/bin/java: /usr/bin/uname: No such file or directory
> java was not found in /usr/local/jdk1.1.6/bin//green_threads/java

Is that the one you downloaded from www.freebsd.org? If so, the reason
is simple: that one is for FreeBSD, not for Linux.
If you downloaded it from a linux site, the answer is relatively simple
as well, ask Linux ppl, not ppl on a FreeBSD list, since they are less
likely to know the answer