Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 05:29:51 -0700
From:      Nick Martin <nim@caerbanog.nimlabs.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Several Bugs (or maybe Features)

I am running FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE (last rebuilt on 990605-ish) and I have
a number of problems:

a) Time is slow. In 90 seconds of real time, the clock advances about 1
second. This causes a number of problems with scripts, cron, etc, and is
very annoying.

b) I cannot reboot. When I halt or reboot, does the usual halted by nim,
syslog exited on signal 15, then hangs (although, I have only tested it
for 3 min, so it may be related to problem a). It does not get to the
point of unmounting drives, as next time I start up, it fscks. This is
very bad, as I will be away and installed FreeBSD over Linux as I hoped
it would be more "fire-and-forget"-able. Not being able to remotly
reboot is very very annoying (of course, with luck, I won't need to, but
still...)

And now, all the relevent info. Running on an AMD K5-75, SCSI card
(using the isp driver, and working great), 10/100 ether with the Tulip
(de) driver, 32 MB RAM, etc. One point is that I installed and compiled
it on a diff computer (Cyrix P200 (150 MHz)), but I recompiled the
kernel (not the world) on the AMD.

A dmesg that seems to relate to (a):
Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 74704326 Hz
CPU AMD K5 model 0 (74.70-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x500  Stepping=0
  Features=0x3bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,APIC>

Is there some way to adjust the Timecounter? How do I find out what it
should be (I do have the motherboard manual around, somewhere, but I'd
prefer not to have to look for it)

An unrelated question: I am pretty short on space on /usr, and I still
have all the aout compatibity stuff there (I upgraded from
3.1-Release). Do I need it? Should I keep it? How do I get rid of it
(cleanly) if no to the previous 2?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Nick Martin, nim@nimlabs.org, http://www.nimlabs.org

The only thing that should be seperated by color is laundry
 -Alexis Walters