Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2014 18:56:01 -0700
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what should uname -v be telling me here?

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> The boot procedure has to load and boot the kernel without having the
> kernel available to create the device nomenclature. [Kind of obvious,
> if you think about it.] So interrogating the firmware is the only way
> the kernel *could* know where it was booted from. That's impossible
> in the BIOS world, and even if there were a table indicating it in an
> ACPI table, that would only tell you which disk the bootloader came
> from, which isn't necessarily where the kernel came from.

I get that. It can sure mess things up if you boot from one and mount
root et al from another.

Just to add insult to injury, while cleaning out the dust and
reseating cables, the plastic tab that backs up the pins on the SATA
data connector broke off, leaving the pins exposed. So what was one a
backup drive then a main drive is now possibly junk unless I can make
the duct-tape arrangement that's in place while I run recoverdisk more
durable. Lousy case for tight fitting components=E2=80=A6

--=20
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/