Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:48:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Glenn McCalley <freebsd@mail.bnetmd.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MX-DNS-telnet sanity check

Hi all, more generic than FreeBSD, but hope somecan confirm/deny:

We have a domain hosted on us, with an MX record pointing to another
ISP.  Mail worked just fine until this Monday morning.  At that time, mail
delivery through the MX'ed ISP went intermittent.  By that, some mail is
delivered OK, some mail is not.

"Other ISP" are claiming that our DNS is set up incorrectly.
domain.com.	IN  MX  0  mail.otherisp.net.
--seems pretty straightforward to us, and has worked for over a year.

The basis of their claim is their statement that running:

bash# telnet domain.com 25

-- does not connect to their mail server, the target of the MX entry, but
rather to the server where domain.com is housed.  This is supposed to be
proof that our DNS MX entry is wrong.

Personally, I didn't know that specifying port 25 on a telnet connection
would cause telnet to do an MX lookup and then connect to that address
rather than the address for "domain.com".  Am I missing this or are they
blowing the smoke I think they are?
Thanks!
Glenn.