Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:29:33 -0500
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        Mark Kemmerer <kali6@best.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd with netgear ethernet cards

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 04:51:56PM -0800, Mark Kemmerer wrote:
> Hello:
> Ive installed freebsd on an old pentium machine, and a Netgear FA310TX
> ethernet card. I/O address is set to 6100H as recommended by the netgear
> setup program. In FreeBSD on bootup it says drivers are not installed. Is
> this correct? Is there a way to test this? Or is this card incompatible?
> Any help is appreciated.

The card is compatible. How much work you have to to do get it working depends
on what version of FreeBSD you're using and what chipset the card has.

The newer cards have a different chipset than the older ones; the new chipset
is supported by the pn0 driver.  If you're using a pre-3 version of FreeBSD and
have the card with the newer chipset you'll need to fetch the driver yourself
and add it to your source tree. It's at http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/PNIC. If
you have an older card with the DEC chipset, it should be supported by any
recent 2.2.x or 3.x version of FreeBSD.

Chris