Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:56:13 -0800
From:      "Beastie" <beastie@beastie.net>
To:        "Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai" <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: NNTP & CNEWS

Well, I'm starting a small business, and all I really want are maybe 3 to 6
newsgroups, all of which would be hosted by myself.  I don't intend to have
interaction with any other news servers at all, the entire purpose is for my
immediate customers to get updates over the internet.

I've removed the two packages ("nntp-1.5.12.2.tgz" and "cnews-cr.g.tgz") and
installed "inn-2.2.1.tgz", however I'm quite new at this stuff, and don't
know what to do yet.  I had CNEWS working after a few hours of trial and
error, but I still haven't figured out how to use INN.  I'm sure I need to
have those active and active.times files in order to have newsgroups, but I
don't know where to put them, or the format to use.  The only reference I
have was when I created a newsgroup with CNEWS, and it modified the active
file for me.  I'm sure INN does the same thing if I can get it to work, but
I keep getting a message when I try to run ctlinnd to make a new newsgroup.
The error message is:

Can't setup communication (bind failure) No such file or directory.

hahaha... I sure do suck at this... I probably misconfigured inn.conf.

Again, I'm very new at this, and I don't have any documentation except the
manpages for innd and nnrpd.  I'm not sure how those two daemons interact
with each other, I would expect that nnrpd is spawned when someone logs in
on port 119, and that innd processes the news articles and such.

It would be great if you could recommend a site or anything where I can
learn how newsgroups work in the first place.  I find I get better results
setting these things up when I at least know what's supposed to be going on.
=)

Thanks again for your help!! :)

-David Fuchs