Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:27:54 -0400
From:      "John S. Bucy" <bucy@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird npxintr

We're playing with disk request scheduling as part of a research
project; we've introduced a lot of new code to 4.4 and are now getting
a weird npxintr that's killing us.  My understanding is that npxintr
has to do with the x87 fpu interface for ia32s and that you get it
when fp instructions issued from the kernel are interrupted and then
restarted.

We are pretty sure that all of our code is fp free and are trying to
figure out what's going on.  We're using long long a lot and I've
heard that gcc generates buggy code for long long sometimes.  But I'd
expect an integer arithmetic exception instead for a problem there.

We mask some interrupts for a relatively long period of time doing
some computation; could that cause this?  I don't own the piece of the
code that manipulates interrupts; is there some way to misuse
splx/... that might cause this?

We're getting

npxintr: npxproc = 0, curproc = 0, npx_exists = 1
panic: npxintr from nowhere

right after we do an splbio() (I think)

Any ideas?

thanks