Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:07:03 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, crh@outpost.co.nz
Subject:   RE: Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!)

At 11:29 AM 4/16/99 +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

>So you want to tell people who develop software to deliberatly reduce their
>userbase

Sounds like you're pretty down on FreeBSD yourself. If you honestly
going to go around saying that targeting FreeBSD with a native port
REDUCES one's user base, then you are, in fact, disparaging FreeBSD
and in fact doing it a great deal of damage. It's statements such
as this one that are rapidly killing FreeBSD's chances of ever getting
near the mainstream.

>when a) its not truly necessary because our Linux emulation is 'pretty
>good',

"Pretty good" is not sufficient. The VENDOR must test applications for
compatibility, support them on the platform, and optimize them for
efficient performance. Otherwise, why use FreeBSD at all? Users will
go where the apps are.

What's more, it'll be harder and harder to emulate Linux as it grows more
complex. Emulation of another platform is a bad strategy and a losing battle.

>and b) we have no leverage to be demanging they do it anyway!

"Demand," no. Advocate, yes. That's what advocacy is about.

>As for the desktop, quite patently FreeBSD's approach is *not* desktop
>orriented, otherwise we would have more tools a la Red Hat for configuring our
>systems,

There's no reason why such tools could not be developed. They should be.

>Ahh, no, I doubt that, I don't think Jordan (yeesh, I'd be getting sick of
>having words put in my mouth by now if I where him 8-) is going to discourage
>the installation of FreeBSD in acadaemia..

You obviously didn't read or understand the original message. The type of
advocacy
to which I was referring was gung-ho advocacy by students who had cut their
teeth on the OS. Jordan is opposed to any sort of passionate advocacy, period.

--Brett Glass

"You're not just e-mailing her, you're e-mailing anyone she's ever
e-mailed."

-- Dayton Daily News Cartoonist Mike Peters on the "Melissa virus"