Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:48:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, John S. Dyson wrote:

> > Don't be intentionally ignorant.  As I stated above, there are patches.
> > Logically, one might take that to mean that Linux developers can indeed
> > figure out how to do it.  Fanaticism is soooo irritating.
> >
> Well, why isn't it in the distribution?  Why has it taken soooo long?  The
> key is that I listened to the user base, and did some seriously grungy
> programming.  There was little elitism, but simply to do what was needed.
>
> Of course, they know how to do it :-), and of course the user base has
> wanted it (look at the mailing lists/netnews over the last several
> years.)  The humor is in the attitude that has kept the right thing
> from happening.
>
> Fanaticism with regards to using an OS whose developers won't do what
> is needed is also irritating.  Maybe they are now coming aware with real
> applications being used now.  FreeBSD users exposed the issue almost
> right away, and therefore the problem had to be fixed.  There was no
> choice, and no arrogance.
>
> FreeBSD (in general) should be proud about the consideration that the
> developers had given to the user base.  From that viewpoint, it is not
> bad that the developers should feel happy about the long term decisions
> made, and FreeBSD development being mired in short term expediency.  In
> fact, the FreeBSD solution has been being discussed on the Linux mailing
> lists, and wonder if they looked at what we did?  It is much easier to
> copy a design, than to actually think...
>
> It seems that fanaticism is where an inferior decision is being made,
> whilst a correct solution already exists :-).  A little verbal sparring
> is nowhere near the insanity of wasting effort with reimplementation.

Do I look like Linus?  Well, lack of photo notwithstanding, I don't, but
that's beside the point.  The large file patch has been available for
quite some time now, but it happens to be in beta -- I'm assuming that
nobody's found a significant need for it, or if they have they haven't
given any feedback.  Since nobody's really talking about it, it's
not really a priority, is it?  AFAIK, most of the kernel development in
Linux has been in the networking area because that's where all the
interesting development is right now.

Regardless, a working solution does exist for Linux, and has existed for a
while.  Why it's not in the distribution is a question for the source tree
maintainers, so I'm not going to argue that further.