Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 13:19:54 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   -questions etiquette

   This is a reminder to all of you on the -questions mailing list that it is
never appropriate to answer people's questions with "you're an idiot" or other
rude comments (even if you believe them to be true :-)). It has recently come
to my attention (again!) that this is happening and it is *not* acceptable. If
you're on this list and you are one of these types of people, please do us all
a favor and either stop doing this or unsubscribe from this list. Not only
does responding in such a stupid way not help the person who is asking for
help, but it also gives FreeBSD a bad reputation as being some sort of elitest
thing - supported by a bunch of children.
   The -questions mailing list is primarily a forum for new users that are
trying to learn how to use FreeBSD and who have legitimate questions. It
*doesn't* matter if their question is answered somewhere deep in the bowels
of our FAQ. It's "okay" for people to ask questions here that are covered in
the FAQ. The FAQ is intended to augment the information that is available to
our users - it is _not_ intended to replace this mailing list.
   Thank you for your attention and cooperation.

-DG

David Greenman