Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2000 15:12:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/15822: Update port misc/HomeDaemon to V0.99

On 01-Jan-00 Karl Denninger wrote:
> I did.  That was the followup you didn't respond to.

Hmm, I must have missed it. I'm sorry about that. :\

> The entire litany of how it works and why is in the README file (along with
> more detail than most people want on this stuff)

A simple explanation would have sufficed, or just saying what you said here
would also have sufficed. :)

>> If you have a compile-time switch, couldn't you allow an override through a
>> runtime switch (like through getopt())? Just another thought.
>
> Getting it set wrong fails in a fairly subtle way and there is no way to test
> it on start-up, so there's no way to KNOW you have it wrong other than some
> really screwy things happening (in particular, with the RAMP command).
>
> Once I got the report of trouble I was able to identify why it was
> happening relatively quickly, but the guy who reported it had no idea -
> and, I might add, the problem was flooding his powerline with repeated
> commands that were doing nothing.  Not good at all.
>
> Putting a command-line switch in there is asking for it.  Yes, I could,
> but I'm not convinced that its a good idea.  Dan Lancini's driver still
> has to be compiled by the user, so forcing them to compile and THIS (as
> opposed to loading it as a package) is not really onerous - you can't USE
> this package without Dan's (at least not for anything X10 related) so
> there is little incentive to do that.

Well, that's an issue that's for you to decide.. my jurisdiction is done at
this point.. I really have no other <sarcasm> astute </sarcasm> points of view
to present. :)

> If you're not "up enough on things" to compile the package you're not
> going to be using it anyway.

No, but if I see something somebody else _MIGHT_ have missed, there's no reason
not to speak up..

> That, by the way, is why the PLIST stuff is nonsense in this particular
> case - packaging the port is pretty worthless as it stands, since you
> have a dependancy that I can't rationally include AND that dependancy
> is NOT AVAILABLE in a binary format.

PLISTs are used with ports too ; that's how you `make deinstall', after all.

>> You can, if you are just going to reply in conversational form, just use
>> your
>> reply function in your MUA. There's really no reason to use that "submit
>> followup" form Steve suggested, but it's there.
>
> Assuming the conversation takes place in somewhat-close-to-real-time, that's
> reasonable.  If it doesn't the old message will likely be gone from my mail
> spool.

<humorously>
But only if you delete it. <grin>
</humorously>