Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:48:31 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   devfs and umass devices

I just upgraded to 5.1-RELEASE last night. I have a Jungsoft Nexdisk USB
memory stick that is being successfully recognized. Since I want the
memory stick to be usable by users of group operator, I need the
/dev/da0s1 device to be mode 0664. Then they can mount the device on
one of their own directories (via vfs.usermount=1).

Under 5.0, I used rc.devfs to add a ruleset to devfs using the following
commands. This worked fine:

ruleset 99
rule add path da0s1 mode 664
rule -s 99 applyset

Under 5.1 I tried doing a similar action with devfs.conf:

perm    da0s1   0664

This does not work, and after looking over rc.d/devfs, I realized that
this only works for devices present at boot time, and not for umass
devices inserted later.

Is there an accepted means of adding a ruleset using the new rc system?
Is there another way of doing what I want? I understand that rc.devfs
is deprecated, so I don't really want to use it unless I have to.

Thanks,

David