Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 03:12:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Separate boot partition?

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On 07-Apr-99 Ollivier Robert wrote:
> > According to Ollivier Robert:
> >> Speaking of HP, their LVM system is cool. Now, that would be a nice
> >> addition to vinum (please don't look at me, I'm not a FS expert).
> >
> > Speaking of HP again, another well-done things in HP-UX is their packaging
> > system (swinstall, swpackage and all that). It works well for the system,
> > packages and patches and makes building of packages very easy...
>
> Hate to disagree, but HP has the most unfriendly and wastful method
> with swinstall, etc.  It may be more thorough in it's testing and
> reporting, but I'll take a FreeBSD system with ports and/or packages
> over it any day.  Unless, of course, I'm looking for some time to get
> other stuff done.

	Same here.  The rigamarole of creating a software depot so I could
put my CD's in a drawer and forget about them is a teedious and drawn out
process.  It's slower than a sloth and it can chew up tons of disk when
applying patches.  I've had to break up patch depots because some machines
would fill up half way through the patch process.  It does ok when you
clean the old files out after each chunk of patches.

	If I need precompiled custom packages, I just say "make package"
after hacking the port.  Life is much better this way.

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]