Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 09:52:24 -0800
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        nate@sri.MT.net
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, mark@grondar.za, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to keepalive a sick ppp process?

|>  [ PPPD ]
|> =20
|>  > I'm using a USR 28,800 Sportster, which drops the line =
occasionally.
|>  > My solution is to run 'ping -i 60 HISADDR', where HISADDR is the =
IP
|>  > address of the machine at the other end of the PPP link.  The '-i =
60'
|>  > keeps the ping packets down to one a minute, so the overhead is
|>  > insignificant.  If the line is dropped, it is less than a minute =
before
|>  > a redial is triggered by the ping packet.
|> =20
|>  Ahh, in this sort of case, you want my '-ddial' (Demon =
Dialer/Dedicated
|>  Dialer) fixes.  Basically, those patches cause the system to keep =
the
|>  line up no matter what.  No pings are necessary, since the ppp =
process
|>  knows when the line goes down and it tries to bring it back up.

Yep, that sounds like what I want.  Where do I find them, and to which
(OS)=05versions do they apply?  (I'm currently running 2.0.5, but expect =
upgrade to 2.1 once the CD-ROM makes it into the local stores.)

-Pat

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as =
well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG  ||  http://Phoenix.Volant.ORG/  ||  =
lashley@netcom.com